Less Becoming More
Soften your eardrums
Birds are singing.
Taste with tenderness
Each bite’s unique gift;
And we find we miss little.
A fortnight with the Soul,
Under the softening Moon
In relief, my gaze to softens.
And let Love in…..
This time of fear & constriction generated by covid-19 is driving lots of negative messages, here are some thoughts meant to counterbalance and provide some helpful guidance. The impact of this time will be different depending on your current and past life’s circumstance(s). That being true, there are many ways to consciously both mitigate the effects and elevate your experience to better master the pull to be caught up in what’s to come.
This is a rare opportunity where the entire world is unified in response to the same concern, despite race, gender, country or religion. A massive collective retreat is underway, so here are some things to consider for making this a conscious retreat for you:
- Meditate and/or do any practice, art form, or contemplation that connects you to your wisest self daily. This helps you to elevate above the palpable fear around you.
- Be aware that the body is usually very passive when watching TV, from your wide-open eyes to your relaxed physical state, so the messages of fear go beyond the mental and intellectual self, and impact the nervous system, body cells and psyche. This affects your energetic body, thereby influencing all perception and also what you transmit to others. Try to limit exposure to TV if you can and if you are tuning in do so mindfully with a focus on fact gathering.
- Fear begets fear. If you find yourself surrounded by people who are becoming consumed by fear (highly anxious, panicked, and/or conspiracy proponents) strive to redirect and request a different conversation. If they can’t pull away, then pull yourself back before their fear starts to commingle with you’re fear. Be informed but not consumed.
- Get out in nature and away from all electronics (yes, even your cell phone!). We are affected by EMF’s even when not tuned into broadcast or streamed content, but now may be a time of greater vulnerability. Nature is a powerful rebalancer, clarifier and healer. Try to limit the former and increase the latter. Fun tip, going barefoot outside will force you to slow down and notice the plant kingdom even more.
- This is a worldwide slow down– think about how powerful this moment of time is. Use it to go inward and feed your Soul. And then when able, project your calm, grounded strength, and loving-kindness outward.
- Take time to attend to your home and garden- bag up things no longer needed, create beauty, and putter—yes, putter! Puttering engages the mind and body in a soft way, which allows mental clutter to fall away and at the same time, brings satisfaction when small things are attended to. Look around, aren’t there things that could be: washed, painted, mended, fixed, built, created, mulched, picked, trimmed, fertilized, and/or completed? Embrace your “inner grandparent” and notice what’s right in front of you.
In short the slow down around covid-19 is both an opportunity for us to benefit mentally, emotionally and physically and be of service. It’s also, an opportunity to dig a little deeper, to reflect more softly, to return to and distill what’s really important, and master the waves of intensity which may be moving through you and around you:
Maintain compassion for self and other’s in this time:
Face it, Feel it, and become Free of it
Stay tuned forTuesday evening Sangha going live to collectively meditate with the Sacred Treehouse Sangha from your home. Details will be sent out on Facebook so follow us at Sacred Treehouse and look for guided meditations to be posted there too!
With Love and Compassion,
Anni & the entire Sacred Treehouse Staff
Anni Johnston, LMHC-S, BC-D/MT, CEDS, CYT works at Therapeutic Oasis of the Palm Beaches as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Movement Therapist. In addition to her therapy work, Anni offers Meditation and mindfulness coaching at Sacred Treehouse. She also offers individual somatic work, book studies and special workshops throughout the year.