“Whether you eat alone or with other people, eating is a time to connect with your body and nourish it, especially through regular meals.”
Intuitive Eating Workbook, Evelyn Tribole and & Elyse Resch
Eating is a sacred practice. By incorporating mindfulness and creating time and space, the daily habit of eating can be transformed into a spiritual practice. The benefits of mindful eating are numerous. When we lovingly bring attention to when, what, and how much we eat, we are able to experience true nourishment. Mindful eating leads to a greater enjoyment of food and a deeper connection to the universe.
Here are some tips for how to incorporate mindful eating into your life:
- Dine in an uncluttered space. Use a beautiful place setting and sit down to eat.
- Before starting your meal, take a few cleansing breathes, intentionally bringing mindfulness to the meal or snack.
- You may also pause to bring gratitude for the food, recognizing all of the effort required to grow and prepare the food included in your meal.
- Take time to smell, taste, and feel each bite of food. Pause in-between bites by placing utensils or hand held food down, taking a deep breath.
- You may note any changes in feelings or energy at the conclusion of the meal.
- Clean your space and pause again in gratitude before moving on with your day.